Friday, April 29, 2005

What Are They Thinking?

Couldn’t write all day today…can’t think of anything but the lack of logic behind the Congressional vote to cut the growth of Medicaid when the population of those who rely on it is growing daily and when even the affluent can hardly afford health insurance. WHAT are they thinking?!

This hits home for me particularly since I’ve been told that protocol for my mother’s skilled nursing care is as follows: once her assets run out, we will have to apply for Medicaid on her behalf. Her monthly income, which was plenty when she was a healthy, independent widow, does not cover HALF of her living expenses now.

Never mind the additional burden of the baby boomer population. My mother’s home (and every other home I visited when I was frantically trying to find a place for her to live so they could discharge her from the hospital) is jammed with people who can’t take care of themselves—can’t walk, can’t talk, can’t feed or dress or bathe themselves, let alone remember to take their medications on schedule.

Cut Medicaid growth by $10 Billion over the next 5 years…..have they looked at demographics lately? Have they looked at their elderly parents’ bank accounts lately?

Guess with this administration, we better all start looking at Long Term Care insurance for ourselves. Now, if only I could remember where I put that application….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home